There are lots of direct sales myths out there. Many people don’t really know what it is all about. Maybe you have even thought some of these at some point! Let’s set a few things straight. These are just a few direct sales myths that I want to address.
- Easy to do and easy money. Maybe you have thought this at one point. Many people who sign up for a direct sales company do so because they think it is easy to do and will be easy money. But if you are in direct sales already, you know that that’s not really true, at least not for most people! Having your own direct sales business is hard work! You really have to work hard at it if you want to succeed and earn money. Yes, some people may have a knack for sales and seem to make money easily, but many people have to work their butts off! Which is ok!Making money with direct sales is possible, it just takes work! Click To Tweet
- Your friends and family will be your best support. I mean as soon as you sign up and start telling your friends and family about this awesome new product, of course they are going to want to support you and buy it, right? Wrong! As sad as it may be, typically our friends and family are our worst customers and often worst supporters. Sad, but true. And if you are someone who gets lots of support from your friends and family, consider yourself blessed! As soon as you can get out of your “warm market” (friends and family), the better!
- DS people aren’t running a real business. A lot of people seem to think that you’re not running a real business if you are in direct sales or network marketing. They think it can only be a hobby. This is so not true! Yes, many people do it on the side or as a hobby, but there are also many people who are really, truly working it as a business and really doing well at it! Like I said before, making money at direct sales is possible, especially if you run your business like a business. And even though you represent a company, you really do own your own business in direct sales. You are not an employee of the company; you run your own business.
- Pyramid scheme or scam. People who think that all direct sales or network marketing businesses are pyramid schemes or scams don’t really understand what they are. Pyramid schemes are illegal. Direct sales and network marketing companies are not pyramid schemes; if they were, they wouldn’t exist. In a true pyramid scheme, the lower level “consultants” cannot exceed the higher level people. But in direct sales, any consultant can start their business and exceed the income and level of their upline if they work hard enough. Direct sellers make whatever they earn. So if they work hard and do well, they will make more than the person they signed up under, who may not be working their business much at all. Direct sales is also more focused on selling a product than recruiting. Yes, you may get paid a little on your recruits’ sales, but it is typically not much. You still need to rely on selling your product.
- Only for stay-at-home moms. Yes, there are a lot of stay at home moms who use a direct sales business as a way to add some income to their family while still being able to stay at home, but not all women (or men!) in direct sales are stay at home parents. Some are not parents at all, some are people working full time jobs and doing this on the side, some may be college students who use it to help pay for college/rent/food/etc, and some are retired men and women who spent a lifetime in the corporate world. There are lots of different types of people in direct sales businesses! You can work it part time, full time, as a hobby, or however you want!
Check out my mini course, It’s All a Bunch of DS
- Crappy products for a high price. If you have tried very many products from different direct sales companies, you will know that this isn’t true! Most of these companies have really great products! Most of them are deserving of their “high” price, because they are good quality products. And many of these products you can not buy the same type of product or the same quality of product anywhere else! Just try some and see! 😉 Besides, you are also paying for the relationship and experience of having personalized service and a knowledgeable consultant. Plus, a company is probably going to pay for marketing their product, no matter what. Maybe it’s through TV and magazine ads, bill boards, radio, etc. Or maybe they can pay real people to promote their products through direct selling.
- All direct sales people are annoying. I can totally see why a lot of people may think this is true. I mean, sometimes you look through your news feed and every other post is someone trying to sell something. Or you are constantly getting private messages from people trying to get you to buy something. Or you are frequently added to a direct sales group that you aren’t interested in. I get it. There are some really spammy marketing tactics being used by many of the people in direct sales. BUT! Not all direct sales consultants are like that! There are LOTS of people who are doing it right, and there are coaches and other people like me who are trying to help make a difference in teaching people the right (non-spammy) way to market their direct sales business.